I am loving this!!!
Current JobI am a PhD student and I work on sex differences in fruit flies.My workplace is very close to the beautiful Swiss mountains.
What question are we trying to answer? (Aims):
How are men and women so different from each other?
Have you ever wondered why your brother does not think like you or your friend who is a boy does not understand you? Isn’t it fascinating how men and women think and behave differently. It’s also known that our bodies function differently. How has that come to be? What’s the advantage of having two sexes in humans? Can’t we have a single sex like in many plants and insects??
If you’ve ever wondered or would like to know about these differences, come along, throw questions at me, let’s discuss!
What data might we need to collect? (Method):
Let’s look deeper into interesting differences between men and women….
Is it hormones, blood pressure, the tone of voice, weight, height…there could be so many things in this world!!! And that’s where your amazing questions will matter so that we can work this together.
Let’s get some cool data by collecting…
- Saliva: Did you know that saliva has hormones? Maybe some important hormones are different between sexes? For example, hormones that provoke stress in us right before we sit for an exam! Or those can lead to diseases?
- Height and weight (are men taller and heavier than women?)
- Questionnaires to understand how men and women behave under different situations and scenarios? Are men more likely to hit someone, or can women be that aggressive too?
How might we collect this data? (Method):
Data collection is quick and easy…
- Saliva: We will ask people to spit on a cotton swab. The saliva has all the information we need. We can bring it to a lab and later experiment on it to find out which important hormones may be different men and women.
- Height and weight – we all know how to get this.
- Questions on behaviour that we will have to think carefully before hand and later ask men and women and then see if their responses are different from one another.
Why you should choose my project:
Because it’s so curious why men and women are different and we all want to know why we sometimes fail to understand the opposite sex!
How would you describe yourself in 3 words?
Determined, Proactive and Enthusiastic
What or who inspired you to follow your career?
I am an inquisitive person so I love doing science:)
What was your favourite subject at school?
What did you want to be after you left school?
Were you ever in trouble at school?
No not really, I was really quiet as a child and my teachers were always happy with me :)
If you weren't doing this job, what would you choose instead?
Who is your favourite singer or band?
It depends on my mood really..but I like Coldplay and Pink floyd
What's your favourite food?
Thai, Moroccon and Indian (I love spicy food in general!! )
What is the most fun thing you've done?
Canoeing in southern France and swimming for hours on the river to get to work
If you had 3 wishes for yourself what would they be? - be honest!
First wish would be take off from work and travel for 3 months around the world (meet people, enjoy food and nature). Second wish- Learn trekking professionally. Third wish- skydiving! I have wanted to do that for the longest time:)